One of Jon’s past young men, Nathan Smith, wrote a book called, “Apocalypse (King of Eden, Book 1)” & invited us to his book signing! We are SO PROUD of him & excited he will be going on his mission soon too! Andrew thought it was SO COOL that he got to meet a “REAL” author!
Earlier today we went to a big garage sale & scored BIG! I LOVE finding great deals!
Jackson LOVES his new lawn mower toy that we got for $1!!!
We also got some bushes at Lowe’s & planted those today!
I LOVE this picture. The sun is shining & we are having fun as a family working outside together!
We didn’t tell Jackson to “mow the lawn” he just started going back & forth with his toy mower on the lawn. SO FUNNY!
Andrew even got in on the work. Although he had to get some help from daddy to move this rock!
Then he decided to help daddy dig the hold deeper!
I don’t know what it is, but when I see my husband working so hard like this he just seems so attractive to me! I LOVE that he is willing to work hard & is such a great example to our kids!
We still have A LOT of work to do but our front yard is coming along!
We found great deals at the garage sale on an Imaginext boat & we were just going to GIVE Andrew all these new toys but…on the way home he was complaining about how his past birthday wasn’t very good b/c he didn’t get enough presents. We tried to be kind & talk to him about his past birthday & reminded him that he actually had 1 party up at Mimi & Papa’s, 1 with Guymons in Utah, & another one in Utah with the Hatch family (my mom’s family)! He said, “Yeah, but that just wasn’t ENOUGH!”
That is when it hit me like a TON OF BRICKS…he thinks he is ENTITLED to this ALL! Wow, I am doing him a HUGE INJUSTICE by making him think he is entitled to everything! SO…when we got home Jon & I sat down & listed all the chores Andrew does or could do & how much each is worth. Then we called Andrew in & talked about our new program of earning all TOYS/FUN OUTINGS!
We decided how much each toy cost & made up a chart. Then he started doing chores so he could earn his Imaginext Boat that we got for $3 at the garage sale!
He was SO HAPPY when he did earn the boat! I am also HAPPY that we will be able to hopefully teach him responsibility & how to WORK for what he wants!
Jackson LOVES his new rocking horse we scored at the garage sale!!!
Another note on the earning program…the “store” is only open on Fridays & Andrew gets his “paycheck” deposited in the “bank” on Fridays too! Also there are some regular chores (make bed, feed dog, pick up room & set table) that have to be done before he can start earning money for chores.
Well, it was all going great until 2 weeks in…then he decided he didn’t want to earn money so he didn’t do any chores. So now we have a new rule: you must do your chores that we ask you to do but if you do them happily the first time we ask then you earn money if NOT then you don’t! I told Andrew that a boss won’t tolerate you NOT working or having a bad attitude so you can’t do that here either!
We are also going to start implementing paying tithing which is 10% (each week or at the end of the month) & putting away money for savings or as Jon calls it “paying yourself”.
SO even though we had a great day…I was also reminded of how important my job as a parent really is & how I have to do better!
0 comments:
Post a Comment