Our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, has guidelines for taking care of our body, called the Word of Wisdom. (Click here to find out more.) In there it talks about not taking harmful substances into our body, which includes alcohol and drugs.
This weekend we attended a graduation party for one of our patients son and there was alcohol served there. It was an eye-opening experience for me, because I had never really been at a party where alcohol was present. I never knew how weird people could get and just how much alcohol can affect someones judgement. Three people we know very well had a little too much alcohol, so much in fact that one hit on me, one had to have her husband drive home and the other one had slurred speech and didn't even realize how bad off she was and tried to get me to drink some wine and was thinking about going to the bar after the party. Luckily the hostess of the party refused to let any of them drive home.
It was very sad and disappointing to see people we love that way. It just made me realize how much I love the gospel and the guidance it gives me in my life. I never have tried alcohol or drugs and I never will. The gospel has warned me of the dangers of these harmful substances.
I also am so grateful that my husband has the same values as I do. We were asked a couple of times if we wanted a drink, but our hostess knew that we didn't drink and just got us water or soda. We were able to tell some people there a little about our religion, which was a neat missionary opportunity.
I don't think we will be attending anymore parties were we know there will be alcohol and especially where there will be alcohol and those three people. It just was a very sad situation.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
When we went on our cruise, I couldn't believe how much alcohol people drank, and how it just stripped them of their inibitions. Isn't it great to have a prophet to guide us? I'm also glad you guys were OK after the storms. Can't wait to see you at reunion!
I am glad for the Word of Wisdom, too. It definitely allows us to have more control over our lives and steers us away from addictions that could potentially ruin ones life.
Hello Guymon Family..We too are The Guymon Family. I was blog hopping and somehow came across your blog. Are you guys related to any Guymons in Huntington Utah. That's where my husbands family is from. I figure we're somehow related since Guymon isn't a common name, and since we're both LDS. You can check out our family blog at
www.ournorthernexposure.blogspot.com
Have a wonderful day, and it was fun to check out your blog!
-Erika & Mike Guymon
I totally agree. We are protected in our little homes, and sometimes forget what is out there. It's a good eye opener to see it I suppose, but not too much!
I hope you all are doing okay, your little boy is so cute!
Post a Comment